• Melanie Koerperich

How to Understand and Embrace the 80/20 Rule

Just in case the 80/20 rule is a foreign idea to you, let’s first cover what it is.  The 80/20 rule also goes by the names the Pareto principle, the law of the vital few, and the principle of factor sparsity.  It’s the principle that 20% of your efforts will account for 80% of your outcomes.  That means 20% of the work you do will impact 80% of your success.  The other 80% then only accounting for 20%.

This seems odd, it’s a weighted system.  One could only hope that 1% of what you do would account for 1% of what happened or what you put in you get back.  The difficulty with this is using this rule to your advantage.  If only 20% of your work is causing 80% of your success wouldn’t it stand to reason that if you can isolate the 20% that will produce the 80% that you’d be more successful by spending your time on those activities?  Confused?  Let’s look at an example.

To make it easy we’ll go with an even 100 to demonstrate.  You send 100 emails and get a response back from 80.  You make 100 phone calls and get a response back from 20.  Which was a better use of your time?  Now let’s say of the 20 you talked to you sold 16 of them $100 worth of product each whereas the 80 people that responded to your email only resulted in total sales of $320.  Which was a better use of your time?

It’s important to understand that when we look at the 80/20 rule (especially when we are targeting a priority list) we need to consider the desired outcome to determine effectiveness so we can optimize our outcomes.  If your desired outcome is contacts vs. sales then emailing is the better use of your time.  However, if your concern is the profit then your time was better spent making phone calls.

Now, this isn’t to say that the other 80% should be discarded, otherwise you are losing that 20%.  But is it more practical to focus your attention on the 20% that will affect 80% of your outcomes?  I think it’s safe to say that this would be a logical conclusion.  Because this is based on a percentage the more you focus on the 20% that accounts for the majority of your outcomes the higher your rate of success will be, whatever your definition of success may be.

Using the 80/20 rule to your advantage will require a clear and concise goal as well as a review of how each activity correlates to the desired outcome.  Unfortunately for most of us that 20% is not going to include tasks that we enjoy doing and for this reason alone the other 80% is such an important part of our lives.  It’s what keeps us going and makes the other 20% worth doing so that we can continue to do the 80% that we love!

To learn more about the Pareto Principle please visit here. To learn how Milrich Associates can help you achieve maximum productivity, please visit here.

#virtualassistant #Paretoprinciple #MilrichAssociates #productivity #8020

This privacy policy discloses the privacy practices for www.milrichvirtualprofessionals.com. This privacy policy applies solely to information collected by this web site. It will notify you of the following:

  1. What personally identifiable information is collected from you through the web site, how it is used and with whom it may be shared.

  2. What choices are available to you regarding the use of your data.

  3. The security procedures in place to protect the misuse of your information.

  4. How you can correct any inaccuracies in the information.

Information Collection, Use, and Sharing 
We are the sole owners of the information collected on this site. We only have access to/collect information that you voluntarily give us via email or other direct contact from you. We will not sell or rent this information to anyone.

We will use your information to respond to you, regarding the reason you contacted us. We will not share your information with any third party outside of our organization, other than as necessary to fulfill your request, e.g. to ship an order.

Unless you ask us not to, we may contact you via email in the future to tell you about specials, new products or services, or changes to this privacy policy.

Your Access to and Control Over Information 
You may opt out of any future contacts from us at any time. You can do the following at any time by contacting us via the email address or phone number given on our website:

   • See what data we have about you, if any.

   • Change/correct any data we have about you.

   • Have us delete any data we have about you.

   • Express any concern you have about our use of your data.

 

Security 
We take precautions to protect your information. When you submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected both online and offline.

Wherever we collect sensitive information (such as credit card data), that information is encrypted and transmitted to us in a secure way. You can verify this by looking for a closed lock icon at the bottom of your web browser, or looking for "https" at the beginning of the address of the web page.

While we use encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to personally identifiable information. The computers/servers in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.

Our Privacy Policy may change from time to time and all updates will be posted on this page.

If you feel that we are not abiding by this privacy policy, you should contact us immediately via email contact@milrichvirtualprofessionals.com

Orders 
We request information from you on our order form. To buy from us, you must provide contact information (like name and shipping address) and financial information (like credit card number, expiration date). This information is used for billing purposes and to fill your orders. If we have trouble processing an order, we'll use this information to contact you.

If you use cookies or other devices that track site visitors, insert a paragraph like this in your privacy policy: 

Links 
This web site contains links to other sites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of any other site that collects personally identifiable information.

Copyright © 2009 - 2020 Milrich Virtual Professionals LLC.
All Rights Reserved